Monday, May 3, 2010

Florence: Under the Tuscan Sun (Wednesday April 28)

Stacy decided to sleep in, so Claire and I headed to the market for round two. We had a few things in mind that we wanted to purchase so after completing all our missions and Claire almost getting sucked into buying an Italian leather jacket, we headed towards San Croce Square, home to a chapel of the same name which is the resting place for legends Michaelangelo & Galileo. Claire decided she wanted to explore the inside of the church and take a closer look at the tombs of these priceless men, but I was feeling more like enjoying the sunshine & the day. So I sat on the steps, and relaxed.
Claire had a reservation to go into the Uffizi Gallery to look at art all afternoon, and I once again opted for the sunshine. I walked along the river and found a beach. Sounded like a good way to spend my afternoon. I walked down the banks and laid in the grass surrounded by daisies and little yellow flowers but the ants started crawling on me. Then I moved to the sand. Aborting any hopes of staying sandless, I flopped down and naturally got sand everywhere. I didn't care though, and I laid in the sand while the hot sun beamed down on me. I fell asleep for a bit until Claire texted me to come meet me. Join me at the beach was my reply.
We sat together on the beach for a bit, until I needed water. We found a fountain (all the water in Italy is drinkable out of the fountains) and continued walking around. We weaved through the backstreets to find the Galleria de Academia, stopping to get a pesto & mozzarella panini. Claire had another stop on her art day, to see Michaelangelo's David. I chose gelato & sunshine. Stacy was spending the day with her roommate so we met up with her to get the hostel key and we headed back so I could change out of my sandy clothes. My skin had the beachy feeling to it, and I laid in my towel on my bed and fell asleep. It was such a great nap, so good that Claire said she had to shake me a few times before I woke up.

We wanted to see the sunset from Piazza Michaelangelo so we headed that way. We made it to the top, out of breathe, and just in time to see the sun turn the sky into a rainbow of colors. Absolutely beautiful.

We watched the sun go down and then watched this man paint using only spray cans while blasting the PussyCat Dolls and All-Star by Smash Mouth.
Ofcourse the Piazza was also filled with the creeper Italian men.... typical. We got some pizza from a cafe and enjoyed it while we walked home. Claire had to use the computer to claim some ICS shifts for next semester so the nice hostel woman let us the computer. It was all good until this creeper came to the door and wanted us to let him in. No thank you. I did what most mature adults would do in the situation, I ducked under the desk, until he couldn't see us and just left.

We went to the train station to get our tickets for our train the next morning to Venice. Which turned out to be our saving grace, since according to the ticket machine we got the last 3 tickets. We headed home for a shower, to wash off the sand and beach feeling.

Felt like a day at the beach. Relaxing. Sunny. Wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment