Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pub Music, The Music of My Soul.

Tuesday Night meant the end of exams for me and time to enjoy the last few days in Dublin. While the rest of the Wolfpack was studying for their remaining exams, I convinced Stacy to brave the rainy night and go out on the town. We decided to head towards Temple Bar for a chill night of pubs and live music. We figured we'd chill for a while and head home, which translated into us coming home at 3 am. Woops.

The rain had subsidized enough for us to get to Temple Bar. We found the first pub that had live music playing and made our way inside. The Auld Dubliner. A new one for us. And a definite home run. We found a barrel and some stools, got some Bulmer's and listening to this dorky guy play some of our favorite hits. When he broke into "Save Tonight", Stacy and I looked at each other with these looks of sadness, clinked our glasses together, and cheers-ed to Dublin.

Well we know, I'm going away, and how I wish, I wish it weren't so, so take this wine and drink with me, and let's delay our misery.

Tomorrow comes with one desire, to take me away. It ain't easy to start goodbye, darling don't start to cry, cause girl you know I got to go, and Lord I wish it wasn't so.

The perfect anthem. And our choice of Karaoke goodbye songs for Thursday Night at the Wicked Wolf. The guy continued to play hit after hit and some Norwegians got up to dance. Tourist central. He even played "Business Time", the Flight of the Concords song that we joke is "my song", cause I'm always down to business. He ended his songs, and we decided to move on. Across the street to Gogarty's. Upstairs was live traditional music. I ordered a Bailey's and we sat and enjoyed the music for a while and chatted then decided to head back downstairs. The traditional music was nice, but I prefer music with lyrics. We were just going to finish our drinks, but then the music was too good to leave. When American Pie came on, and this goofy Irish man next to us literally "kicked off his shoes", we knew the evening was going to be humorous. He had on a purple zip up sweatshirt, and when he noticed us laughing at him, came over and wrapped Stacy in his sweatshirt and swung her around the dance floor. I was laughing so hard my stomach hurt and I couldn't breathe. His friend twirled me around the dance floor and we laughed at purple jacket's moves.

The song selection continued to rock. The Devil Went Down to Georgia. Take Me Home Country Roads. Which Stacy was in the bathroom for, but came sprinting out and jumping up and down. She loves that song. The random Irish people I was talking to gave me a look and I just told them she loved that song. We must have had a sign on our backs that said "We're friendly Americans, come talk to us" because we made friends with every person in that bar. Mostly the creepy locals who come to the tourist spots. We moved into a booth, and instead of escaping, we got trapped by some businessman from Seattle & Missouri. Stacy inquired if the Missourian was from Illinois because he had on a corn festival t-shirt. Meanwhile, the Asian from Seattle was asking me if "I was here with anyone". I laughed and pointed to Stacy. I should've told him my handsome, ripped boyfriend was in the bathroom. Maybe then he would stopped talking to me. Asian tourists are not my type, especially ones whose next stop is Amsterdam to "get their weed on". I started chatting with his Irish friend who was much less weird and as soon as possible I got out of the booth and found Stacy who was making friend with old businessmen who she had apparently cut in front of when ordering drinks. The businessmen offered to buy us drinks, but we declined and tried to escape from the numerous groups of creepers that we had befriended. We sought shelter in the bathroom for a few minutes, to laugh about it. We went back upstairs and found friendship with an Irish woman who decided to dance with us to Build Me Up Buttercup in typical "save me" form. Perfection. We also danced with the Gogarty statue...

When the businessmen asked to dance with Stacy and prepared to take off his suit jacket we took it as our cue to leave. We found a cab and Stacy unnecessarily took the front seat. She likes to chat with our cab drivers. This one turned out to be from Nigeria, been in Dublin for 9 years, and inspiring to go to Chicago someday. That's where he would go if he "had a ticket to the world".

Home. 3 am. Bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment