Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day At The Races: Leopardstown



Today we went with the study abroad students to Leopardstown Racetrack. Apparently, its called Leopardstown because it was the town were all the lepers (not leopards) used to live. Thank you Claire "the guidebook" Fisher and her new Feckin' Irish Trivia Book. The Illinois girls and I walked to the nearest bus stop and took the bus down the N11 to Leopardstown Road and then walked about a mile (1.609 kilometers--that's for you Brent) to the racetrack. We met up with Dorothy who is in charge of all the study abroad events and she paid for our admission into the track. We wandered around and watched the first race. There were people of all ages at the race track and unfortunately, no big hats or fancy dressed people. The racetrack is surrounded by the mountains, so it was completely gorgeous. Of course today there was no fog in sight, unlike yesterday.

After the first race we went to the winner's circle and met up with Dorothy & a group of more Americans, who were from Boston University. Dorothy bought all of us lunch of hamburgers and chips (chips being french fries) and our hamburgers came with like tomatos, cucumbers, and cole slaw all on the burger. It was delicious. We sat and watched a few more races and talked with the girls from BU. I didn't place any bets...given my unlucky nature. I'm still looking for my four leaf clover. Some of the owners of the winners of the races won up to 100,000 euro ($150,000). The names of the horses are the most entertaining part, with names like American Job, Hoochie Mama and Where's the Dosh?.
The races were exciting to watch and everyone screams and cheers when they are near the finish line. A few jockeys fell off their horses, so that makes it more intense, just like the fights spice up hockey. It was cold in the shade, especially when we were sitting so we walked around a bit to get the blood flowing. After watching 5 races we decided it was time to go home. The ladies outside the gates were selling Toblerone bars... I almost bought another one just for kicks. We walked back down to the bus stop and made our way home.


It was about 4 when I got home, just in time to skype with my favorite people. I called Momma and lucky for me, my favorite brother & Allie were there. We talked for about an hour, mostly Brent made ridiculous faces & made me laugh. But it was good to talk to them. :) I have to actually do some homework tonight for my project that is due on Tuesday. Then I might read my book or watch some tv online if the website that our new friends gave us works.

Good weekend in Ireland.

1 comment: