Friday, January 15, 2010

Settling In...

I couldn't fall asleep last night. I kept walking up after having weird dreams about home. I had dreams about DZ and about grandma's. All strange. I think my brain is on overdrive.

But it was up at 8:45, quick shower. I think I've mastered the bop and weave necessary to get the most out of the shower head. Jen said she took her shower head complete off and was just showering with the large stream of water. Not sure if that's necessary yet but we'll see.

We had business advisory at 10 am at the Quinn School of Business Building. This place has a distinct resemblance to BIF. I'm not sure if it can compete, but it even has a staircase and atrium area kind of like BIF. Less grandiose but still very similar.
I saw outlets though so they obviously realized that their students would have to use electricity
when there.

There are about 50 American students taking business courses. We all are in an Irish History class together on Wednesday Nights and will get to go on some field trips according to our professor. We got our student cards so we are officially students. Of course
the picture is awful since it was taken by a webcam and my hair was having
it's usually rainy day poof. We got complimentary scones and coffee and headed home for a bit.

Stacy, Claire & I met for lunch with our complimentary passes. More sandwiches. I got chicken & bacon which at least had a little flavor. I accidentally grabbed a sparkling water which is definitely a European taste that most Americans do not share. We dumped out that water and filled it up with tap water from the drinking fountain. Irish water is pretty good. I was nervous at first to drink it straight from the tap...wasn't sure if Ireland and Mexico have the same kind of water problems and that's not a problem I want to have in Dublin. No worries, I guess that only happens if you drink too much Guinness according to our friend at Temple Bar.

We then went for a Campus tour. I'm pretty sure we could've figured it out ourselves....
basically all of campus is off one straight path.

After we finished our tour we met up with Jen & Laura and headed into Dublin on the bus. 1.80 Euros is going to start getting kind of expensive everytime we need to go into the city centre. We got off the bus and walked through St. Stephen's Greens which is a beautiful park. I'm pretty sure that part of the movie Leap Year was film in the park, when she is standing on the bridge.

We walked around Dublin some more...on George
Street and after much
searching finally found a salon that directed us to a beauty supply store. I finally purchased a hair dryer & straightener... for about 80 euro. Kind of a rip off and I'm not too please about it, but what can you do. Maybe this fancy straightener can tame the crazy humid hair. So I had to carry that around in my backpack. Me and my backpack are going to be great friends by the end of this trip. Except my shoulders are very knotty already.

We walked around some more, down Grafton Street back to the St. Stephen's Green Shopping Center where they have random American stores like Game Stop, Claire's, TGI Fridays, and a TK Maxx (which I'm guessing is some weird form of TJ Maxx). We went into Dunnes, which is like Sears, and I bought a saucepan and some groceries like milk, cheese, yogurt, bread, apples, butter. Basic necessities. We lugged all of our purchases back towards the bus stop and after a little confusion got back on the 10 headed back to campus.

Once home, I made myself some pasta for dinner. Boiled water in my new saucepan, heated up some sauce and mixed in some mozzerella for a little flavor. I had a glass of milk, pasta, and a slice of bread for dinner. I'm going to be eating very basically here in Dublin I think. I talked with my roommate Stephanie from France. She doesn't speak too much english but she's learning and she's very nice. I took out the trash to the dumpster outside of our building and it was rainy and windy out. Hello Ireland weather.

It's about 8 pm now and after originally planning on going out on the town, we decided that we were all too exhausted. My body is just very tired and it'll be nice to relax for the first time since I've arrived.

P.S. My first leprechaun sighting in Dublin.

No comments:

Post a Comment