Monday, March 22, 2010

Don't Panic, It's Organic

I'm going to take a break from raving about my fantastic life of travel to discuss a favorite topic among those at home, my attempts (and failure) at domesticity.

Having completed the horrendous process of laundry yesterday, and having only pasta, butter, and garlic to my name, I decide it would be a wise idea to hit the grocery. So when my little Canadian fairy asked if I would like to accompany her to the market, I willingfully agreed. Procrastination or Productivity, you decide.

The market was only a few stops on the good ol' Dublin Bus away and offered fruits and veggies, an array of local produce, and bonus : all organic. Now given my body is my greatest resource here in Dublin given all the walking I do fueling it with products au natural seemed like a good idea. Or maybe it's all the health food tips flying into my inbox teaching me about the Solutions of life. Don't get excited, I didn't purchase any fresh Kale at the market B, but small steps. After loading up on an array of fruits (apples, clementines, pears, blueberries) and some true Irish potatoes plus some olive oil and organic yogurt, we headed to the butcher. Now given our limited freezer space, I ordered ONE chicken breast to prepare for dinner this evening. He gave me my chicken breast in a baggie and we were on our way. Backpacks loaded, carrying my chicken breast in my hand. After waiting for the bus for 11 minutes, we hopped back on and back to campus.

I was rather excited for my dinner. I have eaten so many fruit snacks since Lindsay & Co. were here plus the supply of Curious Georges from my mom, I was beginning to feel like a fruit snack. Plus restaurant food from 10 days of traveling. Now, I don't know who thought that I could make a successful dinner without incident. You're talking about the girl who actually ruined Mac & Cheese because I forgot to drain the water before adding the powder. Mac & Cheese, the world's simplest food. Granted I was 10, but still. That and I had to have a lesson in Grilled Cheese making by my wonderful Grandma, but hey, I'm a certified pro at that now. See, I just need to be taught. I'm a world class learner. I follow directions well. I mean I mastered the Lean Cuisine directions early. And I successful assisted in the baking of the Gram Flo Christmas cookies this year. I'm not hopeless. I can be taught.

Anyway, chicken in a pan is somewhat of a specialty of mine now. Little olive oil, buttered chicken, garlic and herbs. Actually turned out like a thing of beauty. Be impressed. I can now fulfill the Chicken Diet Brent lived on for a year. But I was feeling adventorous and after a Skype session with the Bucholzs wanted some flippin' red potatoes. Potatoes are somewhat of an Irish legend. It's like the Idaho of Europe. So I thought, well my olive oil trick has been doing me well. So I sliced up the potatoes and tossed them in the olive oil with some butter and garlic. I am cooking my food as Garlicy as Monica does. Well after a while, of getting my chicken cooking, etc, I noticed my potatoes were black. Burned. Well, when first you don't succeed, try again. So I turned the heat down and tried again. No luck. They were just hard. So I threw them in some water in a bowl and microwaved them for a minute than put them back in the olive oil. Good plan? Not sure. Unorthodox, maybe. Well by this time, I had eaten my chicken standing up. My patience wearing thin, I gave up on the potatoes. Okay, I ate them anyway. A little hard, but not terrible. No Uncle Charlie's, that's for sure.

In hindsight, I should've done what I usually don't know how to do something: google it. But I was feeling adventurous. Now I know.

Just another day in Dublin.

No comments:

Post a Comment