Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Everything is Harder in Foreign Lands

Let's be honest, I've had it made the last 6 weeks. Between traveling and exploring, I sleep and eat (well not really), and go to class. In class, I listen as much as I can before my mind wanders off. I spend a lot of time blogging and researching trips. Not a life that's too hard to lead. However, the next month of school is the harsh reality of projects and assignments, and it's hitting me hard.

I have become rather frustrated today, and decided that my productivity is halted, so I am going to go to bed early and recharge my battery. I figured I'd blog out my problems as I enjoyed one of the few Jan's sugar cookies left, I've been rationing them like oil in the 70s.

1. Group work. Now I'm not a big fan of group work at home. It is awfully inefficient and somewhat frustrating. I've been spoiled with my fellow team turkey members who I work pretty flawlessly with. And for the most part, I have had good experiences with my Irish classmates. They get down to business when need be. But I have a group of mostly foreign students where culture and language differences are very apparent. I'm trying to be patient, but it's difficult when all of my classes have a big project due in the same two week span (conveniently located right after my European escapades).

2. Dealing with University of Illinois when not in Champaign. Every spring we have to reapply for our COB scholarships which we were promised at the beginning of freshman year but yet still have to reapply for. Kind of weird, but whatever. Wouldn't be that bad if I could log onto the system. After 20 emails between me and CITES and the scholarship office, nothing has been rectified. Great. For some reason, I'm able to log-on with my IPOD touch though so I got the essay prompts to start on as soon as I get done with all my homework. I'll figure out the rest somehow.

3. Internship Search. Well I have a 3.89, extracurricular activities, involvement in the COB honors program but yet finding an internship is painfully difficult. Thanks Economy, way to be down when I need a job. I've applied a few places and haven't heard back. Then I got an email from the Career Center saying my Symplicity account is deactivated due to being abroad. Another complication. I just want a nice job so I can pay for all my European adventures. And maybe splurge to go see my favorite Arizona cousins, since my littlest godchild is growing up too quickly and I really want a chocolate banana milkshake.

Okay, that's all my complaints. I'm just tired. Drowning my sorrows in about 36 packages of fruit snacks. I think I've made up for 6 weeks without junk food in the last 6 days thanks to my visitors and a care package of sugary goodness from my favorite momma. Time to veg out, and recharge, so I can tackle the world tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment