Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dublin Days

London was really quite exhausting, and I have spent the last few days recovering and getting organized before my visitors arrive on Monday. I am rather excited to have a taste of home come and see me, and no one better than miss Lindsay Marie Bucholz to share another adventure with. We've tackled the better part of the west coast and Hawaii together, and always come out laughing, even if we get mad at each other. My body must know she's coming because I was craving a chocolate banana shake today. I only wish our other partner in crime could join us, but she's busy with all those beautiful munchkins.

Since arriving home from London, I've been busy with school, class, and updating my blog. I did go see the UCD's version of the musical Footloose on Wednesday and found that to be really entertaining. The singing was good and it was funny to see the Irish students try to play Americans. I wonder if this is what they grow up believing America is like. My favorite Australian companion says yes. It is really remarkable how our culture is really the culture of the world. Laura told me that she grew up watching Full House and Scooby Doo, some of my personal favorites. I think the best part of the play was when the 4 girls sang "I Need A Hero". Not only has Bonnie Tyler become a staple of my trip to Dublin, but also because the background dancers were four guys in white t-shirts with the names of American Heroes (or at least the Irish perception of them). What four guys do you ask? Well, Patrick Swayze, David Haselhoff, Harrison Ford, and Bruce Springsteen. American Heroes at their finest right there. Just made me laugh...

Yesterday, we went into Dublin exploring a new side of town. Then we had some lunch at GBK (gourmet burger kitchen), and headed home to do some spring break planning. Coming up soon!

Today, Claire and I decided to take advantage of the sunshine and head to another coastal town south of Dublin called Bray. It was about 30 minutes on the DART from the Booterstown station. We explored the quaint little seaside town and did a little bit of the cliffwalk. It was a little windy and thus a bit chilly but the sun helped a lot. It is towns and days like these that remind me that I'm actually in Ireland.

I also learned an important lesson today. Sometimes it is better to turn around and go back then to keep trudging along in the wrong direction. They say that studying abroad is supposed to make you figure out who you are and if that is the case, than I am someone who'd rather keep trucking than go back and start over. After realizing I have this tendency, I also figured out where/who I get it from. Ten points to anyone who can guess who that is? Moral of the story is we decided to go off the trail, hike up a thorny hill, end up at a rock cliff and having to turn around, getting almost all the way back down before I realized my phone fell out of my pocket somewhere in the dense tumbleweed grass. Luckily I found it, and we made it down without me breaking anything or falling off the cliff, although Claire was beginning to worry.

After our adventure, we had some ice cream. Bray is like the Coney Island of Ireland. Cotton Candy and Ice cream stands galore. Back on our train and headed home.

Came home and fell asleep for two hours, made some chicken, and now I'm going to attempt some homework. I forgot what that's like...


No comments:

Post a Comment