Tuesday, February 23, 2010

You're Not Supposed to Bring the Weather With You...

Now I know everyone complains about Dublin weather... well I think that I've been pretty lucky. I've had lots of sunny days, while crisp, were manageable with proper layering. I've even had sunny days where I could wear a sweatshirt. Keeping that in mind, I'm blaming today's weather on my guests from the Midwest. What started out as a typical overcast morning, turned into snow, sleet, and rain plus wind.

Anyway, I started my day with class. While a little sluggish to get out of bed and to shower, dry, and straighten my new hair that otherwise makes me look like a Furby (remember those, from like 5th grade). I rushed out of my room, only to find mail sitting by the front door. Birthday cards from Mike & Char and a slip indicating a package at the front desk. Instant improvement. Class wasn't bad, but I was a little antsy....I wanted to get on the 11 o'clock bus and coming to the realization that I had forgotten my phone on my nightstand, would have to run home first. Since arriving in Ireland, I have lessened my dependency on my cell phone immensely. Usually because the only people who have my number are usually with me. But when venturing into the city centre, I find it necessary to have for emergencies. Given I had to go back to my apartment anyway, I stopped at the front desk to pick up my package. Birthday gift from Miss Brie Bauer, instant win. I dropped it off (promising myself the treat of opening it when I got home later), picked up my phone, and hustled my way to the bus stop, only to wait for about 7 minutes for the bus anyway.

By the time I got off the bus and hiked it down to the hotel, it was about 12. Hating to be late (an attribute acquired from my mother), I realized that somethings are definitely on Irish Time...like the bus. When I arrived at their room, I didn't find traveler raring to go, rather they were lounging, sleeping, or still getting ready. Alright, whatever. I am merely the tour guide, as Dublin is at my disposal for 4 months. We decided we were going to head to the historical jail on the west side of town since we had seen most of the city center, the jail was indoors, and it had good reviews from friends and guidebooks. After stopping at the front desk for confirmation on what bus to take, I led my faithful followers in the direction of the 79 bus. We boarded the 79a since the bus driver said that would take us to the jail.... he also was very helpful in figuring out bus fares, and pointing us in the direction of the jail. Actually, when we got off the bus, a very nice man guided us to our destination after hearing me ask the bus driver. In typical Irish fashion, we had a chat on our walk, and it was interesting to hear his perspective of the growth and boom in Dublin and how the city has changed over the last few years (10-15). I was familiar with what he was going at, the economic prosperity and the changes to the values of the Irish people had been discussed in my early days at UCD. It was nice to be knowledgeable enough to carry on a conversation with a local about something of significant importance to them.

The jail was a very cool experience. While damp and cold inside, it was interesting to see this place that was home to some of the historic revolutionaries that I am learning about in class. (Yes, I'm learning something beside the fact that you have to let Guinness sit 2 minutes after it is poured). The actual jail reminded me of a movie..I'm thinking Green Mile esque. The modern wing was actually part of the movie the Italian Job... original, not remake. After our hour tour by this cute little Irish woman with a funky hat, we wandered the museum to warm up and found a tearoom for a "spot of tea".

After we warmed up, we headed out. We had had recommendations by the man who had given us directions to go to the Irish Museum of Modern Art. Now, I'm not a museumy kind of girl. Especially art. But it was free, and warm, and why not. The walk from the street seemed endless, but once we arrived, deposited our bags in the lockers, we headed in to expand our artistic horizons. I actually can see why people like modern art...it's all about your interpretation of it. You have to be in the right mindside to see it though... open to suggestion and creativity. Some of the exhibits were interesting, like the big notepads with random phrases that you were allowed to take a sheet of. Mine said "Stupid White Men"...how appropriate.

One of the larger exhibits was walls of beautiful wall paper with dates and headlines and photos all juxtaposed. Except the wall paper was beautiful, the headlines were all about LA and pop culture news, and the photos were nothing to do with either. While I may not understand the art and meaning, it just reminded me of how big the world is, and how dates may be significant to you and how if laid out in a timeline they would look. For me, it would start with February 24, 1989...Welcomed into the world by JoAnne & Barry Metz. What would be next...first step, first word.... how about when I got older.... May 20, 2007 Graduate High School. Or what about the days in between, the days that maybe define you more. Like December 14, 1996, realize that Santa isn't real and that life is a series of lies that make you feel better about things. Or December 11, 2006, lose your daily phone call, gain a guardian angel. It's just an interesting concept.... Makes you think.

After we goofed around in the art museum a bit, we decided to head out so Miss Lindsay could get a little art inked on her leg. After a bit of a locker mishap, we got our stuff and headed back into the horizontal rain. We boarded an overcrowded bus home, where Lindsay & Tracy got a look at the local crack. And I'm not talking about the irish word for fun... but nope, real, true, Irish butt crack.

We got off in the city centre, sent the elders to get some tea and crumpets and Lindsay and I went on our mission to get her tattoo. We got some food first (no food=bad mood for Linds) and went back to the place we'd been to the night before. That guy told us that he wouldn't be able to do it until Thurs afternoon and that didn't work for us so we headed to the Golden Cat, which we had passed before. The guy there was very friendly and said he could do it no problem. I felt this place was more legit, less creepy, since me and Lindsay's tattoo parlor exploration always makes me a little sketchy. There were about 4 workers in this place... 2 were sketching, so I thought that was legit. Plus two of them were women, not scary looking, and had tattoos in places that were not noticeable or visible. Josh, Linds' tattoo artist, had tattoo sleeves but nothing too scary or gothic. We even offered the receptionist some freezed dried fruit after she was telling us about how she loved Fruit Loops but they were 10 euro here. We also listened to them have a chat about tattooing someone's name on you.... and how it's a jinx according to the tattooing community. When it was time for Lindsay to get the tattoo, 2 celtic cats in a sort of yingyang shape, I sat and watched. 2nd time for this experience....first time being in Hawaii. Lindsay tried to get me to get one, which I seriously considered, but I don't know if I could honestly say I want something for the rest of my life. Maybe the next 5 years...but not until I'm 90.

After all the tattooing, we headed back to Temple Bar. We found the others at a resturant called the Shack and went in. We sat for a bit then hit the Temple Bar gift shop and the Temple Bar for a bit. Everyone was tired from the cold weather and days activities so we walked back in the freezing bitter cold to the hotel. Horizontal rain...dampness... and wind.. Thanks for the weather Chicago. I seriously think I'm becoming more and more like my mom and hate being cold. We warmed up in the hotel..then went on a search for food for Lindsay since hotel room service cheeseburgers would've been like 22 euro.

After no success, I headed home with a borrowed scarf and hat and socks, feeling much warmer. After a bit of a wait at the bus stop, I got on my loyal #10 home to UCD Belfield. When I arrived home, I had another package slip so I went down to claim my package. A Box from Momma! What a day of mail! 2 cards from Mike and Char that made me smile. Then a box from Brie & my Mom! The box from mom was like cracked so I could see the glimpse of Curious George's. Yep. What a treat.... Easy Mac, Goldfish, Chewy Granola Bars, Doves.... thanks Mom! And a super sweet birthday card. Love it. Then I opened my present from BrieBrie. Another sweet card, a picture frame, chocolate, candles, nail polish, gum... perfect.

After a long day, I am enjoying my goldfish (I think I've almost eaten half the bag) and thankful for all the love sent from the United States. I wish all my friends could be here to celebrate my birthday tomorrow, but I'm grateful that I have some representation here and such good people to make sure my birthday was not forgotten, miles and miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment