Wednesday, February 24, 2010

It Turns Out Not Where But Who You're With That Really Matters

I'm not quite sure how I got old enough to be 21, but here it is. The big day.

But then there's that quote..."it turns out not where but who you're with that really matters"... another infamous statement. Maybe some wise thinker said it, or maybe it was just Dave Matthews Band, but it is 100% true. Now, most people know, that I love birthdays, and my brain has a keen sense of remember these somewhat trivial days. I think that is the perfect day to recognize all the people in your life in "their day". After all, life is about the people that surround you.

So today, I thank God for all "my people". The people who have already made me feel loved and special, all before 8 am Central Standard Time. My momma and favorite freshman year roomie who I'm lucky enough to also turn into a best friend, for their care packages that cost them probably more to ship then anything else. To my uncle & aunts, both biological and honorary for their birthday cards that were mailed in advance in assurance to arrive on time. And my favorite Floridians for their preemptive wishes. To my best friends in Champaign, who were quick to wish me a happy birthday at 6 pm Central Standard time in anticipation of the turning of the day in Ireland. And my childhood bestfriends, who both were sure to send me their electronic love awaiting me in my inbox when I awoke. And my wonderful cousin Charles who was sure to wish me a happy birthday at midnight. Ofcourse, Aunt Kath & Uncle Scary who help to make it possible to have my beautiful cousin Lindsay here with me to celebrate and sent their birthday wishes via email and cards that have yet to be opened. And Lindsay, who has been more of a sister than a cousin, for coming to see me (even if she wanted to see Ireland more than me). And Tracy & Grisell for enduring some Irish rain & snow for the birthday celebration. And Brent & Allie who were sure to send a birthday present with Lindsay, that I will open later tonight after I end all my classes and head into Dublin to have a drink at a pub. And Claire & Laura for upcoming birthday dinner before history class.

Honestly, I am bummed not to be home in Champaign to celebrate the big 21. In the words of Miley Cyrus (another wise wise soul... after me & BB's fav H. Duff), "So hard with my girls not around me.... this is definitely not a *Champaign* party". I wish I was at home so I could hug my people, and celebrate with my friends who have become quickly a part of me.

But tonight I will celebrate in Dublin, knowing that across the world, people are wishing me a happy birthday and a girl can't get any more lucky than that.

Now, to finish mapping our weekend exploration of Ireland. Leaving in the AM and trusting my life in Lindsay's hands as she drives throughout Ireland on the left side of the road. I will update the rest of the birthday celebrations and our travels to Doolin, Killarney, Baltimore, & Blarney when I return back to UCD on Sunday Night.

Cheers, and have a drink with me tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment